The Niavaran Palace Complex refers to the couple of eras of Qajar and Pahlavi. Due to the fact that the complex was one of the summer residences of the Qajar kings, there were gradually more constructions on it, including Sahebqaranieh Palace which was constructed during the period of Naser al-Din Shah and Ahmad Shahi Pavilion which was the last constructed monument in the Qajar era. During the Pahlavi era, many of the small monuments of the Niavaran Palace Complex were destructed and the Complex was rebuilt and modernized to accommodate Pahlavi kings and their families.
After the victory of the Islamic Revolution, the palace was under the control of the Ministry of Culture and Islamic Guidance and gradually the monuments of this complex were reopened as museums for public visitation. At present, Jahan Nama Museum, Sahebqaranieh Palace, Ahmad Shahi Pavilion, Royal Library, and Museum of Private Automobiles of Niavaran place in Niavaran Palace Complex.
Sahebqaranieh Palace (Kakh-e Sahebqaranieh)
The Sahebqaranieh Palace was built in 1851 by the order of Naser-al-Din Shah Qajar and used as the summer residence of the king. During the period of Reza Shah, the first Pahlavi king, the Niavaran Palace Complex has changed a lot and turned into the host palace of the wedding ceremony of Mohammad Reza, son of Reza Shah. During the reign of Mohammad Reza, this palace was reconstructed again. Exquisite carpets and tableaux and sculptures and paintings and crystal containers are among the objects that keep in this palace.
Private Palace (Kakh-e Makhsus) in Niavaran Palace Complex
The construction of this three-story palace began in 1958 and ended in 1968. Niavaran Palace Complex was home to Mohammad Reza Pahlavi and his family.
In December 2003, the palace was renovated for 6 years. Exquisite Persian Carpets, Architecture of the palace, and crystal containers are among the fascinating elements of Private Palace.
Ahmad Shahi Pavilion (Kushk-e Ahmad Shahi)
The last Qajar monument built in Niavaran Palace Complex is Ahmad Shahi Pavilion. This two-story building was built for Ahmad Shah (the last Qajar King) for his summer residence. The area of the building is about 800 m2. The building was repaired during the reign of Mohammad Reza Shah Pahlavi and became his personal office.
Jahan Nama Museum
The building of the Jahan Nama Museum is one of the ultimate buildings which was built in the Niavaran Palace Complex in the Pahlavi era. The museum presents artworks and antiquities from different parts of the world.
Artworks preserved in the museum are paintings by foreign artists such as Pablo Picasso, Salvador Dali, and Paul Gauguin are among the modern artworks of the Jahan Nama Museum. The ancient objects which keep in this museum are comprehended of the pottery of the second half of the first millennium BC, the Lorestan bronzes of the second and first millennium BC, the bronze of the “standing man” from Alberto Jakumti, and Buddha’s statue From the second century AD, works of pre-Columbian ritual art and ancient Egyptian civilizations, Vicos and Muchika in Peru.
The Royal Library Museum was built in the northern part of the Niavaran Palace Complex in 1976. There are about 23000 volumes of books and 350 paintings in this Royal Library. Museum of Inscriptions and Museum of Private Automobiles of Niavaran Complex are other museums of this Historical Complex.